Sunday, November 28, 2004

Buying Local

Living in a small town really is different than living in the suburbs. Woodland isn't that small, but it's the kind of town that had a bustling downtown and economy centered around agriculture, and now that all the farm land is being developed into housing developments and shopping centers with Wal-Marts and Home Depots, the economy has changed and downtown has suffered. Recently, the city has done a great job of revitalizing downtown and I got to experience that change firsthand while wandering downtown with my really great sister-in-law Megan yesterday. First there was the Next Chapter bookstore, a fairly progressive bookstore that was so great that I posted their website in my links section of this blog. It's a great downhome independent bookstore and I even went back in there today. We also went to the Gifted Penguin, where I was able to find x-mas gifts for all kinds of people and a great welcome sign for my dad's new apartment. We also found a fabulous new restaurant called Tazzina Bistro, which is kind of a California cuisine cafe with French flair. We ate breakfast and dinner there last night with our out of town guests (if that's what I can call my brother and his wife, and my dad) and had brunch there this morning. I now have a restaurant in Woodland (other than Quiznos or mexican food) that I can frequent. I made a commitment to do all of my Christmas/Chanukah shopping locally. That means Woodland and Davis. Target counts too, but that's for the gift cards for out of town folks. Wish me luck. I'm supporting my city. It's the least I can do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home