Saturday, October 09, 2004

Seaside Rendezvous (thank you Queen)

We’re not even 24 hours into our secluded long weekend on the North Coast and already we’re figuring out that we can check our email. We took along my lovely Titanium Powerbook so we could watch some of our netflix DVDs if we got bored, but I figured I’d knock out some blog entries for fun to document our little mini-vacation. We got up here to Abion after a long day of packing, running errands and winding our way up Route 20. We loaded up everything inside the dogs’ kennel in the back of the Tundra. I only drove the last bit from Willows to the Inn at Schoolhouse Creek, which was the windiest part of the trip (windy as in the road had lots of turns that you had to really take at 20 MPH because we had a big ass truck loaded up with all of our stuff and the doggies and did I mention it’s a big ass truck? I have driven the gas pig about 10 times since we got it in January, so I’m not really used to driving it. It was lots of fun and nauseating for all. I’m the only person I know who has given myself food poisoning AND made myself car sick. We got to the Inn to check in and it had just started misty-raining. I forgot that we had all the stuff in the back of the truck (the suitcases, our shoes, etc.) so we had to high-tail it to the cottage we were staying in, about 3 miles down the road. The innkeepers were there (Steven and Maureen) and I had to sign a bunch of releases of liability saying I won’t wander around on the cliffs, I won’t have wild parties, or burn the house down, etc. Mike was waiting in the truck with the doggies. Steven went out to give Mike directions and to give him the key. I guess Zero the evil devil donut dog growled at Steven a little. Oops. So we got on our way down to the cottage (Sea Cloud) and it was piss-pouring rain outside. I was trying to listen to the presidential debate on the NPR station we found on the way, but I had to focus on being nervous in the car. We completely missed the cottage on the first pass and ended up on a windy dirt road that dropped about 100 feet to get to a beach access and had all sorts of “no trespassing” signs. It was dark and rainy, but we quickly figured out we were in the wrong place. I was freaking out at this point (and happy that Mike was driving). We unloaded the truck in the cottage. This place is so cute and the view is spectacular. It was just getting dark but we could still see the dramatic coastline from our bluff-top perspective. It wasn’t until this morning that we were able to see how incredible the view is. We’re right on top of a bluff and the surf is very strong. There are several outcroppings of rocks that are taking the brunt of the ocean. We haven’t seen any sharks yet, but I’m sure they are out there. So far today, all we’ve seen is one little sailboat on the horizon. We remembered the binoculars but unfortunately didn’t bring the camera. We got all settled in and we had to run out to the store to get stuff for dinner. After making a few wrong turns and then finding the Albion grocery closed and the Little River grocery closed, we drove up the road to Mendocino to get some supplies to keep us going. We came back and Mike barbecued some steaks on the little smokey Joe and we cooked some zucchini and made salad. The two of us polished off a bottle of Bogle Petite Syrah, which was greatly appreciated and also greatly needed! We opened up a bottle of V. Sattui Preston Vineyard Cabernet, which has been kicking around our house probably since our wedding or thereabouts and it help up very nicely the way we had it stored at the house. It was quite good. We finished that bottle off this morning in the hot tub. I got up this morning and took each of the dogs out to do their thing. As I walked up the driveway to the road, I saw four deer staring at me from the wooded area across the street. They stared briefly, then bounced off over the fallen trees. It was a really amazing sight. Of course, I had to think of my neighbor, Tom, the bow hunter… The hot tub was a great thing. It was about 45 degrees when we got up this morning, so it was really brisk out here. Lounging in a hot tub on the deck of a house overlooking the ocean seems like the epitome of decadence. Add a glass of wine at 11:00 in the morning and you’ve pretty much confirmed it. Fifi and Zero were pacing around the deck while we were in the hot tub. Fifi didn’t want to miss out, so she had to jump right in. She was trying to get the jets of water. She likes to bark at the ocean foam, so this was a similar assault. Anyhow, we got her all toweled up and plopped her down in front of the fire to warm up. We’ve been watching Mythbusters on the Discovery Channel for most of the day. Our favorite myths have been the peeing on the third rail and whether tongue piercings create a greater risk of electrocution by lightning. 2:06 We’re out on the deck now, Mike’s smoking a Casillas cigar, made by real Cubans. Zero is pacing around the deck and Fifi is perched on top of the hot tub cover, enjoying the ocean’s hypnotic crash. I’m going to call it a day for now and enjoy the sunshine – it’s warmed up to about 60 degrees.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home